The new Corona pandemic and the mandatory quarantine imposed by countries on their citizens to limit the spread of the epidemic. It has a lot of psychological effects on children. How can we help our children in this period of anxiety by maintaining contact with friends, family, or close teachers and crossing the crisis with the least possible psychological damage?
For children, the isolation associated with mandatory quarantine is not the same as summer vacation. Where children are ready to leave their daily lives, their friends or teachers know in advance that it is the holiday.
The announcement of the school’s closure was sudden, unexpected, and worrying for them. By sharing the news between parents, children understand the exceptional nature of this health event. But that does not mean that they will have no difficulty distancing themselves from their friends and loved ones. In school, they build strong relationships with their teacher and classmates. It is among the essential things that allow them to build their personality and adapt their behaviors.
The imposition of the quarantine was sudden and they often did not have time to say goodbye to their friends. Also, in the face of the emerging coronavirus and containment measures, they may feel fear, sadness, and shortage. Children have a very strong attachment to their surroundings and can suffer from forced isolation. It can be difficult for parents to identify this frustration.
In the face of this unexpected change, it is important to maintain contact with friends, family, or close teachers. So how can we face home quarantine and anxiety about the Coronavirus epidemic with our children at home and find solutions to maintain social ties for children throughout this mandatory quarantine period?
One of the most important and difficult things for parents is to explain the situation to the child without frightening him. They have to involve the children in everything and explain them calmly. And don't hesitate to dedicate some time to ask the child how he feels. If he is angry, there may be many causes, but a child's frustration is often difficult to detect and less apparent than parents think.
Distance education platforms
Some ministries of education have established remote education platforms in most countries that impose mandatory quarantines and school closures to ensure continuity of education and children's access to education. And keep the child in touch with his class and teacher. Some countries also offer lessons on television that parents should follow seriously with their children. And remind them that they are not on vacation.
Collect the phone numbers of the child's schoolmates and make a quick phone call every day, so that the child can talk to friends and also to family and relatives. This also applies to the elderly or isolated and the rest of the family.
Many adults have groups on social platforms such as "Facebook" and "WhatsApp" and others to communicate with co-workers, friends, and family, it can be an opportunity for children to do so under the supervision of parents.
In this context, experts in the field of societal Internet use culture and social platforms launched the "We and What We" initiative to confront the Coronavirus and reduce fear and psychological harm in children in what is known as therapeutic literature.
As the experts explained: "The fear of our children weakens their immunity to disease? And that fear and anxiety lead to a lack of sleep, bedwetting, and depression?"
The aim of this initiative is to confront the emerging coronavirus with stories and songs, meaning therapeutic literature. ”The campaign’s objectives are:
- Turning a crisis into an opportunity.
- Investing our children's energies, time and talents
- Reducing our children's fear and anxiety about boosting their immune system.
- Promote a sense of responsibility and their role towards themselves and their community.
In explaining the steps of this campaign to parents: “Reading and listening to the words of the song“ We are and what we owe, ”then visualize and draw it. After singing a section of the song, photograph it and share it through social platforms and via the initiative’s Facebook page to share with other children.
10 tips to protect the child's psyche during the home quarantine of the Coronavirus
These days, the entire world is experiencing an epidemic crisis that is sweeping the entire world due to the Coronavirus, so it is imperative to preserve the physical and psychological health of children during the home quarantine period.
Experts in psychiatry said that the child during this period is exposed to psychological pressures, anxiety, tension and fears, so we must make the child not feel these fears, and the parents must deal wisely with their children and provide them with support and security.
The experts provided 10 instructions for protecting our children during home quarantine:
- Children avoid news releases at this stage so that the child does not experience an unnecessary psychological crisis.
- Listening to music and practicing various activities that the child prefers.
- Doing light exercise, breathing exercises, and meditation to gain the child positive energy.
- Organizing early schedules of the child's sleep and growth to maintain his health without stressing him.
- Organizing the child's time so that he is not bored, and participating in light housework so that he learns to rely on himself.
- Stay away from foods outside the home because this endangers the child's health and takes care of his proper nutrition to strengthen his immune system and provide him with foods in a way that attracts the child's attention so that he does not refuse to eat vegetables and fruits.
- Helping children communicate with their friends through phone calls and writing letters so that they do not feel separated from their friends.
- Helping adults share and express their feelings with their children by drawing pictures and writing stories.
- Remind children to wash their hands frequently with soap and water after playing and before eating meals, and to avoid touching their eyes and mouths to preserve their health.
- Avoid anxiety, tension, and fear of adults so that they do not transmit to children and feel it, and this affects their immunity.